In just a short five years after the iOS version, T-Mobile has finally launched their Prepaid eSIM app on the Google Play Store as of November 2nd, 2023. Android users with a compatible eSIM device can now download the app and activate service right from the app with ease.
Since T-Mobile is still stressing security on physical SIM changes, leveraging the freedom and simplicity of eSIM is a nice change of page to observe. We may never know why Android is seeing the app nearly half a decade after iOS. Regardless, it is here.
We learned of the news via an anonymous tip and also confirmed it’s planned rollout date via a document shared with us here at The Mobile Report, which is shown below.
Customers with a compatible device can sign up for a prepaid T-Mobile plan hassle-free by using the prepaid eSIM app. Customers never have to interact personally with the company at all, nor do they need to acquire (and pay for) a physical sim card, to begin a plan.
Activating Prepaid Service On Your Android Device
Before downloading the app, it is important to first check if your device is compatible for T-Mobile service and is unlocked here. T-Mobile also provides a robust support article about the app, including basic troubleshooting steps for 8 different types of errors that could occur during activation.
Here are the steps T-Mobile outlines to activate the service on your device (both Android and iOS):
- Download the T-Mobile Prepaid eSIM app.
- Open the app and enter your email address, then select Let’s go. Make sure the email address isn’t already used with a T-Mobile ID.
- If prompted, allow the app access to your location while you’re using the app.
- Enter the ZIP code for the primary place you’ll use T-Mobile service, usually your home, and select Continue.
- Choose your prepaid plan, then select Continue. Choose Plan details for more information on the plans.
- Review the Service terms, then select Accept if you agree.
- Enter your credit card information, with CVC/CCC and billing ZIP, set up a 6-15 digit PIN, then select Review.
- Review your order to make sure everything looks correct, then choose Submit & pay.
- Wait while we set up your T-Mobile service.
- On the “Install Cellular Plan” screen, choose Continue to download and install your eSIM.
- Follow the prompts on your device to complete your eSIM download, including giving it a name and choosing a primary line.
- If you want to use a phone number from another provider or from another line, contact us to get this started.
Does self-service activation on eSIM make life easier for you? Let us know your thoughts below.